In the first segment, Jenn and Daren talk about emerging news around the medical issues that are associated with football, especially as it relates to CTE.
In the second segment, they discuss all of the problematic aspects of professional football that are damaging to Black folx and question how anyone can be for Black lives while also supporting an anti-Black system like the NFL.
In the third segment, Jenn and Daren relate their personal experiences with football and athletics and how Black folx are encouraged into sports at the expense of their personal health and longevity.
Articles for reference:
* Deceased NFL Star Aaron Hernandez Had ‘Most Severe Case’ of CTE That Researchers Have Ever Seen
* Playing Tackle Football Before 12 Is Tied to Brain Problems Later
* Football Has an Even Bigger Concussion Problem: Nearly All Donated Brains From Deceased NFL Players Had CTE
* Pop Warner player suffers concussion on what parents, coaches say was a cheap shot
* Houston Texans return owner’s ‘inmates’ comments with a knee
* The Real Story Behind ‘Concussion’
* Explanation of CTE
* The Paradox and Power of the Black Professional Ball Player
* If Colin Kaepernick is for Black lives, he won’t go back to the NFL
* Colin Kaepernick And Our Collective Denial That Football Is (Already) Political
* The Trouble With the Commodification of Athletes’ Labor
* Michael Sam Can Still Be a Hero in a Football-Free Household
* Slavery Much? On Racism in the NFL, Richard Sherman, and Hypocrisy
Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/I7nue367hsfjdjbsyxed2tpeoca?t=That_Black_Couple_Podcast
This is an accidentally funny podcast about the realities of Blackness and adult life. We do “adult” differently. We are That Black Couple.
Our goal is to create a space for Black millennials to discuss and embody adult life on their own terms. We aren’t beholden to “traditional” gender or parenting roles, queerness is fluid and present in the ways we show up in our relationships and in the world, and we want to build community with other 30-something Black folx who are trying to figure this ish out.