In the first segment, Jenn and Daren talk through their own relationship with the church and spirituality and the difficulty they had in finding a church for their own family.
In the second segment, they invite Jenn’s partner Tia into the conversation to discuss why Black millennials are leaving the church and how they have come to adopt alternative forms of church.
In the third segment, Jenn, Daren, and Tia discuss how young Black folx are looking for holistic fulfillment of their spirituality that does not end and begin within a church.
Articles for Reference:
* Pew Research Center Faith Among Black Americans study (2020) – Faith Among Black Americans: https://www.pewforum.org/2021/02/16/faith-among-black-americans/
* Pew Research Center Religious Landscape Study (2014) – Members of the Historically Black Protestant Tradition: https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/historically-black-protestant/
* Pew Research Center Religious Landscape Study (2014) – U.S. Public Becoming Less Religious: https://www.pewforum.org/2015/11/03/u-s-public-becoming-less-religious/
* Pew Research Center Religious Landscape Study (2012) – Racial and ethnic composition: https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/racial-and-ethnic-composition/
* The Church’s Black Exodus (The Atlantic): https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/616588/
* Millennials aren’t skipping church, the Black Church is skipping us (Black Youth Project): http://blackyouthproject.com/millennials-arent-skipping-church-the-black-church-is-skipping-us/
* Are black millennials being pushed out of the church? (The Washington Post): https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2013/08/27/are-black-millennials-being-pushed-out-of-the-church/?outputType=amp
* Henry Louis Gates Jr. on his new series ‘The Black Church’ (PBS News Hour): https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/show/henry-louis-gates-jr-on-his-new-series-the-black-church
* African-American Catholics concerned about youths leaving church https://news.nd.edu/news/african-american-catholics-concerned-about-youths-leaving-church/
* Black Millennials May Be Leaving The Church, But Not The Faith https://truthbetold.news/2019/11/black-millennials-may-be-leaving-the-church-but-not-the-faith/
* Millennials Are Leaving Religion And Not Coming Back (FiveThirtyEight): https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/millennials-are-leaving-religion-and-not-coming-back/amp/
* Police Brutality Drove a Wedge Between Me and My Church (The Marshall Project): https://www.themarshallproject.org/2018/04/11/police-brutality-drove-a-wedge-between-me-and-my-church
Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/I7nue367hsfjdjbsyxed2tpeoca?t=That_Black_Couple_Podcast
This is an accidentally funny podcast about the realities of Blackness and adult life. We do “adult” differently. We are That Black Couple.
Our goal is to create a space for Black millennials to discuss and embody adult life on their own terms. We aren’t beholden to “traditional” gender or parenting roles, queerness is fluid and present in the ways we show up in our relationships and in the world, and we want to build community with other 30-something Black folx who are trying to figure this ish out.